Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Samuel Collier-3, Timeline


My great-grandfather Samuel Collier-3 leaves several loose ends. No birth record has been found to date. His whereabouts in 1881 remain to be accounted for in the UK census and no death record or even date of death is known.

My hunch is that Samuel Collier-3 died in Windsor, Nova Scotia sometime before the great fire there destroyed that city (and presumably all its written records) in October 1897. The province of Nova Scotia did not collect vital records during the period he would have been in Nova Scotia. Windsor sits on major deposits of gypsum so working in a quarry is consistent with Samuel Collier-2's marriage record. The fact that my grandfather went with my aunt and uncle to Windsor, Ontario to look for Samuel Collier-3's grave gives me pause, but if my grandfather only knew that his father died in Windsor, Canada, perhaps he never really knew of the Windsor, Nova Scotia possibility. Also worth noting in this context is that three of Samuel Collier-3's sisters emigrated to Nova Scotia later. Lastly, the Ontario records in ancestry.com seem very extensive so that I expect I might have stumbled upon a record of him in Ontario, had he ever gotten there.



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home